Saturday, December 30, 2006

I'm up all night

That was Mark Andrewski's calling card... He would hit you in the arm and say "we're up all night". Back then we would play hockey on a commodore 64. It would take an episode of Sanford and Son to load the damn game and then we would play, get caught up in the action and begin screaming until our landlord/roommate Joe burst into the room asking us how did it happen that we became so fucked.

I remember one time... Well let me set this up... Joe was a respiratory therapist and worked odd shifts at the hospital so there were times when it was very important and difficult for him to sleep. But that's not to take away from the stakes of a 2-2 tie late in the third period. Like I mean you have already invested an hour loading the game, and then playing it... So when our team went up 3-2 with a minute remaining, you can understand the need for some fine celebration. We were so into the game it was like I forgot it was 4:13 AM. Joe reminded us that it was indeed 4:13 AM, but unfortunately we couldn't pause the game, and clearly couldn't give him the attention he was looking for. Like I mean, it would be insulting to him to wake him, and then go on to lose the game in the final minute. He didn't quite see it that way, and in fact took it more in the other direction, like it was a further insult to wake a man and then ignore him as he was berating the wakers. Reminds me of this song called the takers I wrote a long time ago... Should pull that one out.

They have a 3 on 3 hockey game on the CBC website... Maybe I should play that and wake up CT and Kaiya celebrating a goal... How do you think that one would go over?

Have you ever woken a mother's child? I'd rather claim an Elk carcass from a Grizzly Bear. The grizzly bear would kill you immediately and your pain would be over. Like if you went down for a glass of water and tripped over a large pile of clothes in the middle of the staircase... That were so carelessly left on a chair out of harms way... And as you fell smashing down the stairs chipping you tail bone and bruising you elbows you might be then accosted for making a noise that could wake people up.

Wonder if I should resolve to be less of a failure for next year?

I don't know.. I kind of like being a failure... Like what if I became a success... Everything would change... I wouldn't know how to interpret things, and I would have all the wrong reactions. The chain would be broken and I would be lost... It would be the classic Man vs Environment we know so well from our film studies.

No comments: