Wednesday, October 31, 2012

mud is on the the walls of the new shockcentre

Construction is a good game... it's a long road but i like to have work to do.  The unfortunate part is that in my life, the times i have done this come in 20 year intervals... so often you are not sharp in your technique.  Just make sure everything is level in the first place and that will help, and there are a few contractor parent types in the neighbourhood whom i can lure in for advise... "you should take a look at this and tell me what problems i have created for myself down the line", is what i say.

But all the instruments lay fallow and the Tascam 440 4-track awaits a celebratory recording... this is my life and i wouldn't trade it for anything. Hey, "I'm just a gibbering fool 27 and drumming, sometimes it's hard to find the right words, feels like your just strumming, I did some things that i wish i didn't but i wouldn't change me for nothing"... I remember being in the original shockcentre co-writing that song like it was yesterday.  I can see it clearly.  My roots i never forget, i always remember the road i traveled.   That last one is a Burning Spear quote... nothing like working to Reggae... for the mudding i have been on a Peter Tosh kick... I also hit some Vancouver bands like The Modelos, D. Trevlon, The Doers, Station A and of course STOKE.   One of the best things about working is music... blast away and get into it.  I also hit Toronto band Bidiniband with special emphasis on the song "The land is wild"... call me a sucker for hockey songs.  I guess speaking of hockey songs i did hit some of my own cd's.

I remember one day wanting to see my own cd's in my cd collection... thought that would be cool, but building your new music space while listening to your musical history in a new place is a good exercise i would recommend to anybody in my position.  The changing of the guard so to say.   Result: although i have never really had any success in music as measured by industry standards I'll still stand with my catalogue any day... it is what it is.

In another interesting point Peter Tosh sings about how he must go to Zion in the song "Lion". I have written a song about Mt. Tabor and apparently in 1853 they were about to call Mt. Tabor Mt. Zion but somebody came to the meeting and proposed the name Mt. Tabor and it stuck.  Until i heard Peter Tosh singing about Zion it hadn't occurred to me that Mt. Zion would be one King Hell name... there are a million connections in songs and life when you listen to the words. As well as playing music i intend to listen to a lot of music down there, as the garden needs water to grow.  None of this new  "star machine" music of course... i need to study the roots.

I really love reggae, I forgot how much.. great working music... slow steady pace, and the message. So much music now is devoid of message...  but then why have a message in these times when apparently nobody has time to listen to a message as the new attention span now is that of a tweet? Not to come down on twitter as i myself have an account, but like in high school i am ignored in the "cool circles"... suits me just fine.   Apparently you can take classes on how to use twitter for social networking... but that's against my philosophy of "this is that i have to offer take it or leave it".   Really it should just make for a nice break in the day... but we know people and their sales agendas. 

No comments: