Tuesday, October 02, 2012

random thoughts hour... go

Nutmeg in the cake i baked warms the spirit... a little shaved nutmeg can turn a good baked item into a great one.  I am currently studying spiced baked goods.  Studying meaning randomly mixing things together, never writing anything down, but coming up really good i must say.  I climbed the ladder in my chef and baker skills this year... it's funny seeing yourself go up a rung.  It comes with confidence, and confidence comes with secured knowledge.  I'm a method guy... the minute details are rather insignificant.  Just in case you are a brain damaged hammerhead, let me make something clear... you can't "wing", the amount of flour, baking powder, baking soda, butter and milk... those fractions have to stay constant... but you can "wing" it up all sorts of other ways.  You might have to knock back the flour a bit if you were to toss in some rolled oats.  Even still you can be off a bit... it's good to see how these things affect the cake or cookie.  You want to get to the point where you can feel it... how is that batter behaving?  These are the questions you need to ask yourself when you are in the zone.

But earlier today i was high atop a ladder, like 30 feet up, staining my cedar siding on my house... really fucking high, and you feel so vulnerable.  If shit went wrong at this moment, clearly i would be dead, or maimed so severely that death would appear as something to strive for...  every movement becomes exaggerated... every pound on my body stressing the ladder... slip into some cake frenzy regret..

Then there was this bug, a green green bug that looked like a cricket but might be able to fly... it was at the apex under the peak of the roof... i thought maybe i wont stain that part... i can let the bug live... very spiritual of me indeed... but then i ran through the sequences:  What if i tried to paint it and it came at me pulling out some stinger or some "mantis like" arms in a full on attack?  Then i have 2 options 1) freak the fuck out and fall to my death, or 2) cling to the ladder for dear life giving the insect a clear attack on my face.  Obviously i was going to go with 2) when i went through the  "insect attack scenario" on top of the ladder.  i even had the good for-sight to remind myself, should the bug go for my eye, not to swat my eyeball with a paintbrush full of stain.

A little thing called experience friends... you see if i didn't pour that tray of stain over my head i wouldn't have had the stellar vision to follow through with all possible scenarios in which my own stupidity could harm myself.  After a while having engaged and studied this bug... it was quite a spectacular bug... it had good Omen energy shining through it's bright green Chitin.  I'm not big on messing with Omens in times of crisis... bug eventually moved to area under the roof and i slapped some stain on the top triangular shingle finishing the front of the house.

Later i was over watching a dog that is part chihuahua  and part rat terrier on the case defending a yard against pest rodents. I got the lowdown on those dogs... actually bread to kill rats.. i like it. I asked if there was a dog called Squirrel terrier, because a dog like that might be worth looking into.  If I could get a squirrel terrier to defend the yard we would be defining the word symbiosis. But apparently there is no Squirrel terrier, although it was pointed out that i could probably breed one, which is an interesting idea... apparently a fox Terrier could kick ass on the squirrel population  It would only need to make random kills from time to time, the squirrels would learn not to be in our yard.  Pretty much perfect plan i say... and then it was asked how my wife would like the news of us getting dog.  I sort of went into one of those weird jells where time freezes and i see myself, from above.. there is me... feet up and talking, convinced i need a dog.. how are we going to sell this to CT?  This is exactly why, we had in our wedding vows, that nobody was to ever lose their fucking mind and think that for some reason we needed a pet.  I hate to split hairs on this issue but garden defense from pests is not a "lose their fucking mind" moment... It might actually be a find your mind moment.  Also while touring Kaiya's third grade class i saw what Kaiya wrote about herself.. one of the points was "my dream is to have a pet".  i remember seeing that and thinking "have a dream and i end up picking up a dog shit". I never really thought of a positive for having a dog, but sending a natural predator of your nemisis into the environment to loyally defend the said turf is a pretty major one.

Bye the way this cake is really good

hour is up

No comments: