Sunday, July 30, 2006

Willingdon Black

The latest Stoke CD is done and I have it in my grubby palms. The cover is three of those graffiti things that appear on the black'n'blues flashpage when you go to the site.
It's a top notch CD, that probably needs money to find it's niche.. But then again doesn't everything. It's about time Willingdon Black named a CD after himself. The recording captures SMASH at his absolute best, playing the role he was born to play... groovemaster of a Black'n'blues machine, and the incredible Andy "yea yea" Poystila once declared "the best drummer in the city hands down.
Track 2 is called Hammerhead, I remember hearing it live @ Studebaker's for the first time, it think there was some email behind that but who's really keeping score... Besides all of us who understand anything.

Across Giza is probably one of the best dance songs I have ever had the pleasure of cutting the rug to... You get those long flailing Sarasota arm circles accented with a sharp stiff leg kick.

Ahh I'm listening to it now. Orange Cat could be one of the coolest songs ever written... It is a king -hell number, and music would be worth listening to if we all suscribed to this kind of stuff.

THE FACT THAT ACROSS GIZA AND ORANGE CAT ARE ON THIS RELEASE DECLARE IT A 5 STAR TASTY GROOVE STOMP THAT CRUSHES THE BALLS OF MUSIC BY JUST STARING IN IT'S DIRECTION.

How's that for Smiley-Faced PR you fucking son of a bitch... Lucky I am to know and believe those above opinions. So I know I'm good when the great bell tolls and those who got behind selling garbage to the masses meet their spiritual void.

What the hell is that! It's a good thing I didn't read that bible my Mother & Law slipped me after I mentioned in her presence that I wanted to read Revelations, the king James version as recommended by HST as one of the greatest writings of all time added with the glowing review "whoever the Loon was that wrote revelations". Because if I had read the bible I would probably end up quoting it when I go of the deep end musing about music and spiritual balance.

I have this CD "Willingdon Black" in one of it's earlier finished phase... I think it is the 37th final draft, and much has changed from that time. All the reverbs have been re-calibrated. That version fell into the "burn discs pile keep away from Kaiya and if left out for 1/10th of a second and seen by Cristina to be put in a dark drawer" void that claims so many quality things around here.

I had the chance to offer opinions and I believe mine was "sounds good", Shockk had a more indepth sonic analysis. At that time version #42 was out and it was to be the FINAL DRAFT... Shockk mentioned a few things and Black registered the ideas, looked at the ceiling, half frowning half smiling and said "perhaps could always go back and tweak a few things... There was something else I notice around 4:47 PM today".

It looks like Canada Lynx Records may have lost out in the bidding war to sign Stoke to a lucrative "you pay your own way" deal.

No comments: