Thursday, October 06, 2005

I am naked

Thinking of a title for today's writing.. I looked around the room and it was going to be Pederson Field Guides, Western Birds, or, I am naked, which I happen to be right now.

Wait I just thought of a game we could play. Open up the Field Guide and I'll tell a story about the time I saw that bird... I guess I'll have to open up the field guide for you... as a side note I just spelt "open" as "poem".

OK here goes... Damn I got the Flycatcher page... those bloody things look all the same. To illustrate this point check this...The Alder Flycatcher can be differentiated from the Willow flycatcher safely "only by voice and to some extent breeding habitat". The second problem is that the damn things stay high up in the trees so you must kink you neck straining through field glasses to see if you are indeed looking at a Hammond's Flycatcher... which is more olive in colour; undeparts more yellowish, with a grayer chest... but if the bird is say dirty, and somewhat indistinguishable from the other species then you can always look at the bill for it is smallish and mostly dark.

When I go birding I call it a flycatcher and save the whiplash for a motor vehicle accident.

Next

damn I got the Oystercatchers... don't think I have ever seen one of those. They would be easy to identify if you did see one. Long legged, long beaked large shorebirds.

try one more

Fucking flycatchers again... this game sucks

SR

No comments: