Tuesday, January 02, 2007

Mishaps... Was Myspace but the spell check did that "mishaps" and I felt it artistically fitting.

Well well, a blogaroo about Myspace... You know it was due.

What brought us to this? It was actually this band The Rocky Fortune, and this song called Merry Boxing Day... Which I see they have taken down, which is unfortunate. The dude that wrote and sings the song is a guy called Fox Northman and he came out to the Super Robertson Supper Show for a few months playing the quiet Beardman at the back of the table... I almost threw him in on bass one night, and then set him up to play.... All I knew was that he came to Vancouver from Calgary to write some songs and was staying in an unheated storage space. Anyhow he played and was absolutely scintillating... And he played that song. So I heard from Shockk that his band "the rocky fortune" had that song up on their myspace page and that they were "friends" with interior design. So all I had to do was wade through the multiple pages of interior design friends to find them (as a search proved unsuccessful, for various reasons)... I found the song and enjoyed it... Even tried to download it, which is something I cannot ever seem to do &%%(... which is a shame now that the song is gone... However I figured I aught to tell a few people so I told the 2 of my friends who are most into music... The Mule and A Parker.

Both flinched at the idea of going onto Myspace... The word hate was used. Both did check out the song and enjoyed it... One had to leave early because it was killing him to be on myspace.

But EVERY BAND OUGHT TO BE ON MYSPACE for important exposure, the more friends the better right?

Don't get me wrong I have 4 myspace accounts, the one that I signed up for to check out SUPERSIMIAN when SIM put it up and that one is under my name and has a picture of my naked ass... I never check it... I threw up a ROADBED one, a 21 TR one and a Canada Lynx Records one, just to be involved right.

I find Myspace good for tracking down certain musicians who play bass and horns... Almost better than a phone call. But as I gain more and more friends (I always accept friends requests for some reason) the harder it is for me to find the person I want because I have to wade through a sea of faux friends... Just like the music business right.

People in bands fall prey to the idea that they are getting through and there big break is just around the corner... Does 1678 profile views mean 1678 people were checking out your band... How many gave a shit about your music? All you have to do is stay up all night adding people to your friends and you will have more visits and song plays and you will be able to see your career grow... And then any time you want to send a message to somebody about a Supper Show you have to wade through hundreds of hammerheads to find them.

I think Myspace is great for certain things... I have actually succeeded in having a discourse with the Naso Brothers, but my ability to find the needle is becoming harder in this haystorm of opportunity.

I have more points but I need sleep now

No comments: