Tuesday, May 16, 2006

I remember the typewriter

I remember the typewriter... I even clung to the fucker when we moved much to the disbelief of my wife who eventually pitched the thing only to later rue that decision when we needed a typewriter for a performance prop.
None the less I was a serious luddite. What is a luddite? Well a quick shot of the fine internet dictionary gives us this:

1. Any of a group of British workers who between 1811 and 1816 rioted and destroyed laborsaving textile machinery in the belief that such machinery would diminish employment.
2. One who opposes technical or technological change.

shit I could write a book on that first one.

I recall telling my cousin (who recalls as well and at certain times reminds me) that computers will be the downfall of society, which they very well might be, but for different reasons than I had predicted.
Back then a computer was essentially useless (beyond being a fine word processor barring any crashes) when you think about it (1990). I suffered a few loss of data fiasco's when i was in university. Later when the internet started and fools spent hours designing rudimentary website entry pages (fly the spaceship that looks like a cigarette pack over to get a key and then fly the key into a hole to enter the site) I scoffed again. And besides I liked my typewriter, It felt good, and it didn't matter as I was basically illiterate.

As an artist a computer now in 2006 can stomp balls on all forms. I was sold in about 2000 when the G4 came out. It could edit video, record music, and communicate with the internet which is basically all I ever wanted. Along the way I got sucked into website maintenance (roadbedonline.com, canadalynxrecords.com, 21tr.ca) which blew a few gaskets along the way.

Back to the point I was going to get at before this grand errant puffery.

Before I wrote on paper and there are sheets in the filing cabinet and now I write on the internet. Nobody can see in the filing cabinet... And that's a good thing , but, if I ever wrote anything good (a far fetched scenario) it would be easier to transfer from the internet... Barring a savage crash... But internet companies never go belly up right?

What about mindset... When you wrote on paper you knew who would read it, or at least you had a better idea. I recall the time I had this girlfriend and things weren't going that well and there was this other girl that I felt an attraction for and we discussed our attraction and of course not wanting to engage in infidelity I came up with the grand idea of writing a love novel together using the power of our lust... Bad idea!

Me, I always maintained that blogging was a writing exercise and that if I had something imperative to say I would put it on a "thread". That was a joke by the way... Which proves if it proves anything that I am conscious that I am writing for someone else.

They say to get over stage freight you picture people in their underwear. I say to get over blog freight just picture the Mule sitting at his computer reading.

SR

1 comment:

The Mule said...

Yeah, I'm reading, and often in my underwear.