Thursday, April 13, 2006

Put your faith in yourself... And not some fool team

Stupid fucking slow internet thing... I get a head full of ideas and then I'm looking at some stupid arrow with a time clock zinging!

I Hate.

So it was about 9:30PM and I figured that I would go and see Joe Thornton eliminate the Vancouver Cannucks from the 2006 NHL Playoffs. I could see it clearly, my home team squandering another lead in the third period only to come up empty.

Part of me wanted to see what would happen during the NHL playoffs if the Cannucks got in and they played on Wednesday night. Clearly a playoff game would take president over a Supper Show. I had pitched the idea that Willingdon Black and I would call the play by play in the bar on those nights... Janet liked the idea but wisely noted that there was a good chance there would be no Cannucks Playoff hockey this year.

For that reason and a few others I didn't even bother to tell Willingdon Black about this stroke of genius. "that's right WB show starts early tonight... It's a 7PM start... Don't worry about that guitar" I would say.

WB would be a natural of course. A man with a keen sense of the game and a childhood love for a perennial loser. I myself am a man from that school. My team the, Toronto Maple Leafs, are a team I publicly gave up on just before they went ion an incredible tear and now have a slim mathematical chance of making it to the postseason. I still say they are dead if at least for the fact that my mind set has to stay the same in order for the universal karma to stay balanced in order for the miracle to happen.

But the bone fact is that "my teams" won't be in the playoffs this year. This means I could adopt Calgary and Ottawa as my new teams which is a pretty serious upgrade if you know what I mean.

1 comment:

ACM said...

You're forgetting Vancouver's 'other' team, the Giants, who are up 3-1 on the storied Portland Winter Hawks (Cam Neeley's old club). If they win one more round after this they're into the WHL finals.

I've pointed out in the past that there is a Year-of-the-Dog cycle in this town; every 12 years the Canucks go the finals (1982, 1994...). Now I realize the cycle may not be Canuck-specific. It may relate to Vancouver hockey teams in general, or perhaps it relates to teams playing in the Pacific Coliseum. Of course, by mentioning this I may have jinxed the Giants.

Final note: the preceding nugget of insight was provided by an individual who was not even nominated for 'Best Hockey Mind' in the Supper Show awards (not that he's complaining, having snatched 'Best Guitarist' in a fashion reminscent of the 1967 Maple Leafs).