Thursday, April 20, 2006

Aloha sucker

I have been waiting a long time for this "aloha sucker moment". The term was brought to my awareness by my man Willingdon Black, who, in his Blog did a piece on Hawaii 5-0. The article had him fanaticizing about using the lead character's lines in his life. my favorite was "yea yea, sure sure, hotshots like you are always sorry once the damage is done!", but close behind was "aloha suckers" to which WB would say to politicians once they were handed their comeuppance from the voters.

When I surf the internet I have my usual routine... loop through some sites, see what new has been added. One of the first sites I hit is CBC's hockey page. there is a certain story that I have been waiting to read about for some time, so long in fact that I forgot what it was until this morning.

I had stopped in at home for breakfast... a bowl of cheerios and a wad of chocolate. while I was wolfing down the cheerios I opened Netscape... I really need to update my computer.

And there it was a picture of my nemesis chewing his gum.

PAT QUINN FIRED AS COACH OF THE MAPLE LEAFS.

I physically clapped and said with much enthusiasm ALOHA SUCKER.

I figure it's about 4 years overdue. This year is the first year his Leafs failed to make the postseason, it is also the first year his Leafs didn't ride a goaltender that stood on his head (played outstanding). They managed to maintain their trademark poor defensive play, which didn't help things much.

Quinn was an decent coach for a while but could never put together an elite team despite the Toronto Maple Leafs high payrolls filled with aging veterans and overpriced under performing European snipers.

3 comments:

ACM said...

I dunno....I think Steve McGarrett would probably like Pat Quinn.

The Super Robertson Supper show said...

Long overdue.

Good coach, great with the media, a constant source of irony.

Under his watch the Leafs were fundamentally bad at defense. He brought in many high priced "snipers" that failed to produce despite being constantly played.

And when the leafs got close his loyalty to players that didn't produce was just astounding.

He was amusing but ultimately his strengths (good hearted man) proved to be his undoing when things were on the line.

There are probably bigger problems at the head of MLSE, I can't imagine key hockey decisions being made by committee.

It takes a great coach to win the ultimate prize. Pat Quinn was a good coach who found a role for some players and rode hot goaltending in Toronto for years.

You wouldn't see Scottie Bowman's teams, or Ken Hitchcock's teams, or Darryl Sutter's teams not showing up for big games time and time again as Pat Quinn's Teams seemed to do

The Super Robertson Supper show said...

I think Steve McGarrett would enjoy Pat's press confrences