Friday, June 01, 2012

hockey

Time is the weirdest thing, it's apparently eternal but there is never enough of it for all of us self important humans who think we are overwhelmed and lost but yet don't have the spine to collectively stand up and work together to do something about it... is the word spine or intelligence?

Sorry old sport, i was too busy looking at a manufactured screen for multiple hours today  to be able to make a difference... I should note that i did "like" various social media posts that had to do with saving the environment as my personal effort to change the world.

I just got on a weird mind tangent.  Probably be best not to get into it, but i have never been a fan of "what would be best".  What would be best is how we ended up with a thick stack of shit hole cookie cutter popular music songs, and shitty movies that have part 3 in their title.  Hey this will sell,  those fucking idiots will buy it, get it out there.  It was a Hockey thing actually, as are many things in my life... you see our team was defeated in the semi finals the other night by a score of 3-1... i happen to be the leading scorer on the team by a fair margin, and for this game, our fearless, or avant-garde thinking leader decided to put me on defense, much to the horror of my former line mates and the team in general. The problem with hockey teams is that somebody puts them together and then, for some reason, they become the voice of the team, no matter how insane that voice is.  They told me i played very well on defense, i made a few good plays breaking up  some stuff and chasing down a few breakaways, but apparently they needed more offense from me.  Looking at the stats, when i play right wing/center with my 2 regular line mates we are good for about 4-5 points per night... oddly enough i was paired with my regular left winger on defense, and then the wingers were never on the boards for the breakout.  Strange stuff for sure... everybody on the bench whispering to me "why are you on defense?".

Why was i on defense?  cause we have a couple of floaters and a guy who wants lots of ice time, well a number of them actually, but one of the main guys was playing defense and he didn't want to put a floater on defense to rob him of his ice time so he put the hustlers on defense opting to go with 5 defense and 2 complete forward lines.  Have you ever been in a situation where somebody has made some insane call and you just try to make it work against all odds.  That was us in the semi finals, somebody thinking outside the box but stuck in a triangle.

Pretty much anybody i have ever played hockey with would state emphatically that I should play forward.  It's true, I'm getting older and slower and in these coming years i should be evolving my game to transition to that position, and in all honesty i worked hard trying to think the game in that way.  I did play defense for a few years on the pylons back in Vancouver, but that was a division 10 team and i got the roll because i was one of the few that could actually fluently skate backwards.

I hate losing, bottom line, and i hate insanity.. the combo ain't good.

Hopefully the team reacts to the speech i will give at the start of the summer season.  You see it's odd being in my situation... I am the main offense of the team, so they are very keen to have me stay on the team, but yet they are insane giving into singular selfish desires.  Hockey is a strange gamet, nothing better than winning and coming together as a team, but yet everybody wants to play center and score, even if they couldn't win a face off to save their lives.  In hockey there are systems... but a system is useless if everybody isn't doing their part... hockey is a reactionary sport.  Meaning a unique situation just occurred, what do i do? and i have a second to make that decision... some get it better than others.  My basic mentality on that is that you need you wingers on the hash marks for the breakout and if you can't do that then good fucking luck.

Is this insane?  Can't be worse than my "what if all art in the world was destroyed tangent", which had merit, but didn't really apply in the grand scheme of things.

It should also be noted that i had many chances including a late game breakaway in which i managed to Goat up a storm.  I was a braying in the oat field... there were times as a defense man where i was rushing the point... there were times when i was screening the opposition's goalie.  I could have won it, but i failed to do it because my shot failed me... or maybe it was the stick... that cursed stick... with it's omen forever scarred into it's history.

No comments: