Friday, March 21, 2008

my thumb is bothering me, and the reason my thumb is bothering me defies all logic.

If you ride public transit in Vancouver you must know about two "Papers" called "24 hours" and "the metro". As a matter of principle i always pass up having one handed to me by the resident "handers" that are forever in front of all skytrain stops... or at least the ones i ever go to. I might have touched on the blatant environmental insult that the presence of these papers represents... then there is the content!

Anhyoo, there i was in the train and beside me was a metro paper. I often take them and give them back to the folks giving fresh papers to people... they never like that one... perhaps they are being monitored and given "performance reviews". So i went to fold it back up and in the process ripped a hole in my thumb on the staple holding the paper together. You can imagine my rage... then i tried to rip the staple out part as a measure of revenge and part so this doesn't happen to the next person who gets the paper after i deliver it back to it's source and it takes another round. but the staple was a stubborn one and refused to come out jabbing me again and again forcing my hand to destroy that paper which proved to be some great amusement for a couple of brothers across the isle.

The question now would be... What is my purpose?

The bible, so i was told, has a line about not letting your hidden talents go to waste.



should probably go and read revelations now.

1 comment:

The Mule said...

I applaud your policy re: the free papers. My policy is, if I touch one (to remove it from a seat before I sit down, or pick up one from the vehicle's floor, or even read one) it has to go into a recycling bin. Of course, most Vancouverites can't read the "Newspapers Only" signage on these bins, and the papers are mixed in with coffee cups and other rubbish. The recycling bin contents are probably dumped into landfills. Oh well. At least we commuters end up well-informed about Brangelina and the hapless musings of Linda Cullen, Erin Airton, etc. Well worth the dead trees and megawatts of energy.