Tuesday, June 09, 2015

Sufjan Stevens Carrie & Lowell tour

Clearly I have been down on music for some time after a long period of locking antlers with the "what and why" with respect to my relationship with my music.  In fact I haven't made much effort to seek and see music in this period.

Well a few months ago my neighbour came down and asked me if i wanted to go see Sufjan Stevens, and being a big fan of the album Illinois and Michigan i sad yes and we bought some tickets and i kind of forgot about it.

Now a couple of days ago i was reminded of the show and checked out the new album "Carrie & Lowell".  I was actually painting that day and i hit the album about 4x in a row.  By about the third listen i was hooked,  you know that thing when you know you have a new favourite album, and you are going to get the chance to fall in love with it.   It's moments like this is why we seek music... that high one gets becoming obsessed with a spectacular piece of art.  I was warned that it is a "bummer"... but so is "Blue" by Joni Mitchell... i rest my case.  I make this comparison not casually... but I'll put it there.  Was i crying listening to it?... Yep, but it was a good cry, a beautiful cry, much like that time i was driving to the ferry on New Years eve listening to "river".

So i was primed for the show... the new album like a strong burning fire in my soul, and he played the whole thing.  He didn't just play it, he killed it... probably one of the best shows i have ever witnessed.  Clearly this show had special significance being that it was in Oregon, and that wasn't lost for a moment on the nearly three thousand absolutely enthralled audience members.  Spectacular Oregon images broadcast on church window like screen panels and a minimal yet very effective light show.  Five were on stage, but many times only Sufjan was playing ( basically any instrument and singing), and the others altered instruments and came in expertly when it was time for optimal effect.  It was one of those shows that will go down for the ages, i have no doubt about that. It's not something that is easy to describe because sometimes words fall short or define too singularly.

If i had to I'd say... it was a heavy "love in" that demonstrated in no uncertain terms the power of music, and the possibilities within.

So i played some music today and for a while rediscovered the soul that drives the engine... And what's a bummer about that?




No comments: