Monday, December 24, 2012

life was once easier

Apparently you can mention people in your blog using google +.   Just a nice little neat fucking ass hole thing technology has brought us.  I for one miss the limited options of the Luddite world and no where is it more present than with recording technology.  There is now always a maze of options one has to wade through to choose the simple thing, and often times the simple thing is no longer available.  I think if this current technology was around when we were cutting our teeth making 4 track recordings it never would have happened.  Rather than getting down to the business of laying down the song Gibbering fool, we would have been confused by menus of options, trying desperately to get out of the pre set options and into some representation of an analogue type setting.  By the time we got there the spirit of the music would be clouded by the rage of the programming and the spirit of the song would be lost.

If you wanted to re zero your start point you pushed the button by the counter and rolled... now you read a manual and scratch your head and wonder how the fuck some simple operation can become so complicated.  Almost every recording program i have used since the 4-track leaves me in a check mate position after a few moves, and so you end up going on line and watching some video of some long haired clown talking about how easy it is and what a great machine you have, but they never get to your problem, so you lose more time and get farther away from the process... less playing more menu searching... next thing you know you figure if i just reformat the card we can get out of this unfortunate situation where track 2 repeats itself for 11 minutes making your 3 minute song 11 minutes long.  So you reformat the card and start again cause it's easier... on the bright note you are better at the song this time, and you get the chance to make a few alterations by starting over, but it destroys the idea of laying demo's down while you are hot... playing hot that is, not enraged hot.

In other news we went to a trampoline place the other day, and to keep with the theme, lets just say that i am not as malleable as i once was.  It would be fair to say that i am stiff and heavy and brittle.  You see there are trampolines on the walls so with a bit of skill you can bounce, bounce, bounce on the trampoline squares and then bounce off the wall, and do a flip and bounce back, which is exactly what i saw somebody do, and it looked fun and easy so i tried it. I should have seen that the trouble i was having just bouncing in between the trampolines (with hard bars covered with thin foam) was not going to translate well for my eventual flip.  indeed when i did hit the wall trampoline it was less then graceful, and my angle was all wrong.  Of course the trampoline just rockets you back on the trajectory defined by the simple physics of the jump... this i clearly hadn't studied so my family and other onlookers were treated to a most awkward landing on my shoulder with the rotater cuff injury. 

Being a proud man i got back on my feet and tried to make it seem all right.  Perhaps I'll just bounce here for a bit and try the old land on your back and spring back to your feet.  I'm pretty sure i stalled my heart on that maneuver.  Just then one of my daughters flies off the wall and lands gracefully on her feet... i try to smile and give the thumbs up by my arm doesn't move. 

Over in another area you can bounce into a pile of foam blocks... good for flips.  Just try to get out of the foam blocks with one arm.  You are kind of upside down whiffing sweat odoured foam trying to right 200 pounds holding up the line.  It looked fun and while I was doing a flip in the air it was fun but seeing a crowd watch me feebily crawling out of a pit took me down a notch.  You know me though... i paid my money and i will get this down. no matter how much it costs me in future pain. 





No comments: