Friday, February 25, 2011

Typical Robertson

Music industry party meet and greet... why the hell not, having a destination is perfect, add a purpose even better.

Get in and mingle... you really have to walk up and ask people what they do... don't be afraid, conversations start and often you will be given the opportunity to learn something. I had made a few fine points, scooped an accordion player for SRSS jams by quoting early They Might Be Giants and stunning a fan (of TMBG) who thought he was alone in the world.

I start getting the hang of it, laying down advice as it came to me and then got involved in a rant on advertising... my points were a bit different than the rest but none the less to illustrate my point, or at least teach how to live it when i got the beer that was on sale for $3.50 a can i asked for a glass so i could pour the beer in the glass and hence foil any chance of further advertising on my end of the consumer product relationship... i was feeling it and i was ready to stomp down some wisdom, and then i bumped into a fellow who asked me why i was pouring my beer in a glass because i looked so happy doing it. It was kind of like i was a stick of dynamite and he lit it and i went off on an anti advertising sermon that basically when summed up stated "the mere act of advertising has stripped the average consumer, or human, as i like to refer to them, of the ability to recognize and appreciate what is important in the world, and why it is important"... I went on to say this it's time to get tough on advertising with manditory... jail time for convicted advertisers... new laws calling for public stonings for people responsible for making throw away packaging... it was around this time my new friend was in retreat mode, the vibe wasn't so jolly... so i figures OK, and said "What do you do man"... "advertising director of a large record company".

No comments: