Friday, February 12, 2010

notes on ideas

When i was in my first band and second band, i spent a lot of my life and energy and tooth enamel for that matter putting up posters for shows thinking that this huge effort was in some way worthwhile. I was trying to send a message, or like that big shift in a hockey game where you gave your team momentum with a hard fore-check... it doesn't transfer well in band situations. In a band usually everybody is insane in their own particular way and time and mis-assigned intentions grind the bastard down to useless powder

I was actually giving a lecture about the topic at a club the other night to anybody who would listen... but the scientist must now ask "what is it now that sucks my time and energy in a non constructive way?". The obvious answer being those insane maniac children of mine, but the "new postering" is the Internet. It's a better game because you are warm and dry and not fighting city workers and other poster people for real estate, and when your shit is up it stays up... notice the negative in "it stays up". A poster will evaporate in time but a link, bad video, drunken tirade can always come back to haunt you... unless you can rise above all of that and believe in:

"Cyril once observed that the only reason for writing was to create a masterpiece. But if you haven't got it in you to make a great work of art there is another option- you can become one."


-Solomon Gursky Was Here

Mordecai Richler

most folk don't have the proper training for that one... but I'm getting off topic again... my point was somewhere or somewhat to do with the reality that we always seem to kill our precious time in life doing things that don't matter. The plays change but the game is the same on some levels.

I don't know why i make music to be honest, i just do, i absolutely do NOT want to be a "rock star" under any circumstances. And i honestly believe that i mean that. I have a desire to make money to buy freedom, and i feel good sharing opinions through song, and i love to just sit on a groove and feel it.

why am i awake writing this?

the experiment started for the same reason as the posters, but it was meant to add a human element to the dilemma. I remember "band meetings" where i tried to get the other members to come up with one 3 line poem per week to put on the site to give a more varied view of the band but no can do... in the end the whole site was called "my personal vanity site" by some.

you know the song "your so vain you probably thing this song is about you".. my dad always though that song was hilarious. My point being a blog (called the chronicles) should be about you. I'm just a guy in a band and this is how i see the world, and I'm going to be wrong and i might be right from time to time, but why fudge it to the trends.

the raw facts are it's 2:00 am and i need sleep

i should just delete this shithole, but lets let the truth ring for good or ill.

No comments: