Tuesday, August 07, 2012

Just not a texting kind of guy

So far the working title has improved, and that's a good thing.

There is no doubt that being able to send and receive messages instantly, could put one at a great advantage from time to time.  For sure, but when have humans ever not lost their minds and overdone things like this so that in the end the net benefit comes out a bit behind to the net negative?

Like what if you are walking down the street, or a path for that matter... having a great day, wondering what the world might bring you, with your receptors open for something you might run into and change the way you think about something important... and just then your pocket buzzes and some jackass texts you with some ass brained plan and you find yourself drawn into something for good or ill, and then there is another text before you are ready to respond... fiasco.

It happened years ago to me with a cell phone, a beautiful night giddy with the possibilities, loving life and the stars, and some loon phoned me up trying to pile some of their shit on my wagon... cause their wagon's axle was under stress if you know what i mean.

I guess i don't see why being in "touch" is so important... i fail to see much sanity in most of society so i guess the less i can be involved the better.  Don't get me wrong, I'm highly social, i just think sometimes tools like this give the fools more power to fuck with the doers.  Rather than make a plan to be some where at some time it's a "well I'll text you and see how it's going on my end".

I remember a few times running a music night and having people fuck around and then after the fact try to justify their end cause they tried to text me 15 minutes before show time to let me know what was happening on their "end".  It was as if some magical text could explain everything and reroute the spinning of the earth, to slow down the day to just make a little time man... On my end we start playing music here, and we end there... like we do every week.  Some how a human forgot that reality can't be changed with a text message, but it won't stop them from trying.

My wife and i have 3 kids, work, do activities and neither of us have a cell phone... OHHH is that even safe?  How do we do it? people ask us... same way we always have is the answer.  Put the cable tv and the cell phone budget into the mortgage and talk to me next decade.

I am the cake and the cake stands alone... Quoting Mule Hughes songs now.  I believe that one should never give humans more options... i know it sounds like free enterprise and freedom in general but it is actually a lie... rather than answering the question you are just charging them to enter the club and in the club they actually lose freedom, and information and communication becomes more diluted.  So you get the odd important nugget of info but you may have to suffer many unfortunate thoughts in between.  I do facebook and get some good  and Ill communication there, i check email many times a day i answer my phone... just to say, I'm not completely isolated.  By the way, do they have text ads?... for sure they do... they must... the next domain.  What if i got a cell phone with texting and Safeway texted me cause they gouged my number on their totally dishonest "give me your information or we will totally soak you" pricing schemes?    If i got a text from Safeway alerting me of some super saver moment i would be furious with myself having let my guard down and allowed such a ridiculous thing to happen... and the thing is you need a text plan... when i did have a cell phone, last time, and one of the reasons i got rid of it was that i started getting texts, that i could never successfully respond to, and i had to pay for.  An unwelcome diversion that cost me money... probably 2 of the worst things you could do to a person of my nature.

On another but the same point, i always have a lot of food in my house so if you come by, I'd be happy to feed you... just saying that I'm not a complete shyster that hates people, which if read with a small mind, one might determine from the last sentence like thing, in that last paragraph like thing.

The truth is, for the most part, many people "connected' spend all their time (even while socializing with real humans) punching at a small screen forgetting somehow that the world is out there, the one that they are breathing in.  You finally get together with somebody and you spend your night staring at your phone... sure not everybody does that, but it's really becoming the norm.  I'm sure many fools texted each other outraged over BC Hydro's decision to install  smart meters worrying about radiation from the meter meanwhile the phone in their hand is emitting more.

I realize texting has great purpose for many people, and it adds to some lives in many positive ways, but it ain't for me, i know that... I'll be here on my path doing my thing and if you want to come and say hi please do, but i just can't join this train at this time there is too much to lose and too little to gain.

If i could make money with a texting phone, that required communication of that sort with co-workers or bosses, i'm sure i would change my tune... I had a small issue with my last job where they tried to tell me i should have a cell phone... of course my point was that if they think i should have a phone then they should pay for it and not just take advantage of the idea that every unimportant fool thinks they should have a cell phone.  For the most part I am an unimportant fool that knows i don't need one, even though one would come in handy every once in a while, it's not a need.

No comments: